Sunday, August 17, 2008

My New Mei Tai

The last time I was in Hart's Fabric in Santa Cruz (which, fortunately for my pocket book, isn't that often), I found this gorgeous Japanese fabric from Kokka that I just couldn't resist. Immediately, my mind started churning with an idea for a mei tai carrier that mimicked what I like so much about the look of X-slings -- that V shape in front with the obi sash. It took awhile before I had the free time to dedicate to drafting a pattern and test it out, but finally, it's done now. Hooray!



It's olive-colored bamboo twill for the rails, fully lined in a burnt orange cashmere/silk. It's not bad for a first effort. I still have some tweaking to do and am debating whether or not to pad the waist strap. It's freakishly light, since bamboo weights next to nothing, and folds down tiny (yay! it fits in the diaper bag without taking up the whole thing).

No comments: