Sunday, August 17, 2008

DIY exchanges

I've been swept up in the excitement of DIY exchanges lately. The basic concept is you get assigned to another participant and are given a list of their likes and dislikes and a very general category, for example that they'd prefer something for their home, and you make whatever strikes your fancy and send it off to them.

In the last month, I've made:


a hat for a little girl



a smocket (a children's smock with a pocket)


a dress for a 1-yr old

I'm in the process of making ladybug MaryJane shoes for another little girl.

In return, I've gotten a hat, pants, and coordinating backpack for Ryan, a set of absolutely adorable, knit finger puppets, a satchel, and a cashmere wine bag. I have to say both ends of this exchange are fun. I love making things for other people. Especially, when I can make cutesy bits for little girls, since I don't have any little girls to sew for myself. And opening a surprise package is never a bad thing, particularly when it's filled with wonderful things for my kids.

No comments: